Virtual Reality is adding empathy to technology
Ever seen a 12-D Movie, Oh! Maybe some of you would have had. A 3D Movie: EVERYONE! Remember how that felt, Yes! Magical, as everything came to life.
WHAT IF YOU COULD BE A PART OF THAT LIFE ……………………………………
“VIRTUAL REALITY (VR): Adding empathy to technology”
In simplest words defined, VR is a brain-tricking tool to create a desired make-belief environment. It is the new exotic technology that lets you have an immersive and realistic simulation of a three dimensional environment using a software technique capable of generating such sounds and images that creates an imaginary environment for the user.
AND YOU ALL PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW THAT BY NOW.
“ALBERT EINSTEIN ONCE SAID: LEARNING IS EXPERIENCE, EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST INFORMATION”
Thereby in this competitive world, where it is so hard to survive, why should one just gather the information when one can actually experience and not just learn but remember it forever as a part of one’s strong memories. For instance, how can you make a young amateur to know about the deep adventures and dangers of an ocean without even jumping into it in reality? Now, you can through VR.
Virtual reality can make our life so easy and simple, but how? Check out what veterans have to say about Virtual Reality’s benefits
- Imagine the diversity of a learning experience that can be gathered by stepping over augmented reality and moving towards virtual reality to learn difference between empathy and experience. JEREMY BAILENSON, a professor of communication at the Stanford University, California believes that “virtual reality can give anyone and everyone, regardless of where they reside, the kind of experience needed to generate the urgency required to prevent an environmental calamity.”
BAILENSON’s VHIL (Virtual Human Interaction Lab) has led various studies that have shown how VR acts as an Empathy Machine that can solve problems like illustrating difficult phenomena ranging from climate change, ocean acidification, to glacier erosions and extinctions, etc.
- Mark Elliot Zuckerberg, an unedifying name in the history of internet, the chairman, CEO, and Founder of Facebook that gave the world a rich tool and a platform by which people have the power to share their lives.
- He believes the advancements in VR feels like one has been teleported to some other land. For him there is always a medium for more immersive and richer experience in the world than it is today, as we have already emerged from long time back used texts to photos to videos and finally to Virtual reality’s 360 degree vision. And thus, he had bought the virtual reality headset technology for $2 billion, and is planning to add new features in Facebook with VR.
Some of the other benefits have been underlined:
It’s Cost Effective–
- Unlike in 1990’s when Virtual Reality faced Technical challenges and public disappointment, now computing power has improved by cutting down the cost. Imagine what if training is required for too many people at the same time, just by modeling the situation or equipment training it can now be delivered without even making any possible damage to the real situation or item.
Latest developments like
- Virtual worlds: combined power of 3D graphics and internet, is extremely user friendly.
- Input devices like MICROSOFT’S KINECT and Wii CONTROLS is taking gaming to other levels.
- With Google Expeditions seeding 100,000 virtual reality headsets and lesson plans, in education this has been the biggest change.
- Psychology and psychological therapies do not remain untouched as well, as another famous Psychologist by the name of SKIP RIZZO, the Director for Medical Virtual Reality, at University of Southern California has seen a massive improvement in rehabilitating people with brain injuries through this, especially Autism as one of his cases.
- Is helpful in other therapies too like in case of various phobias, a Mental Health issue.
A WHOLE BUNCH OF AREAS WHERE ‘ VR’ CAN BE EFFECTIVELY USED, such as:
- Experiential learning using augmented or VR solutions improves decision making, and also leads to faster learning and better retention.
And as quoted earlier, likewise, “we learn by example and by direct experience because there are limits to the adequacy of verbal instruction”
- As discussed earlier, it acts as a tool in mastering the field without engaging with a person live or dead for deliberate practice sessions, much before having to deal with the patients.
- As mentioned above about FB being the most beloved social space and medium, VR is going to broaden the horizon of advancement.
- It becomes relatively easier to test the potential of an interviewee and filter more effectively as per company’s requirement. The testing can be done by putting them into a virtual situation as equal as a real situation.
- Uses VR for Battlefield Simulation, flight simulation, vehicle simulation, Medica or First aid Training (battlefield), etc.
- Opportunity is endless with new advancements like Bio-sensing, 3D internet, VR languages (VRML, X3d, 3DML, COLLADA), etc.
TRAINING through VR helps in:
- Interactive sessions
- Accurate and real-life situation training
- Methods used are fun and enjoyable
- Complex theories and concepts are better understood
- With high end VR Headsets hitting the road, such as HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, fitness is fun yet immersive.
- Though back in 1970’s, DAVID EM was the first fine man to create navigable virtual world, but by now JON RAFMAN, an artist, filmmaker, and an essayist who portrays the impact of technology on contemporary consciousness in the most refined manner.
ENGINEERING is impacted in following ways:
- Adds more dimensions to virtual prototyping, product building, processing etc.
- Virtual prototypes can be seen and determined way before the original prototype.
- Used in product and manufacturing engineering.
- By browsing made easy through 3D viewing, it has immensely revolutionised this industry, as viewing homes, apartments and even commercial places becomes very interactive. VR for real estate is proving to be a game changer.
HOSPITALITY and TOURISM
- Similar to VR in real estate, it unarguably going to boom this industry.
THE LIST IS ENDLESS WHEN IT COMES TO OPPORTUNITIES WHICH THIS FEATURE HAS RAISED, SO, THE NEXT BIG HIT EVERY PENNY WORTH EXPERIENCING!!!!